Understanding WordPress Hosting1
WordPress is the most popular blogging platform and content management system in the world. It has features that allow everyone from novices to experts to create blogs and websites. WordPress can be used to build a personal blog, small business website, an online store or even a huge corporate website. If you want to build your own WordPress site, you only need a couple of things. One of these is hosting.
WordPress has its own platform, which is WordPress.com. If you want your own self-hosted site, however, you need your own domain. You then need to find a web hosting service that is compatible with WordPress. Fortunately, all major web hosts now offer WP installation. There are certain features that you should look for when shopping around for a WordPress host.
Features to Consider With WordPress Hosting
You can install WordPress with any major web host, but before choosing a host, there are several features you should keep in mind.
- Price - What is the monthly or annual price? You can often find web hosts offering special discounts, especially around holidays. Be careful, though, as you may get a low price for the first year but then have to pay a lot more after that. You can save money by signing up for two or three years up front.
- Bandwidth and Disk Space -This is usually not a concern unless you're starting a very large site. Many hosts offer “unlimited” bandwidth and disk space.
- Domains - Some hosting plans allow you unlimited domains, sub-domains and add-on domains. If you plan to start more than one website, you should look for such a plan. Very often, a web host with several shared hosting plans only allows you one website when you choose the cheapest plan.
- Bonuses - Web hosts often include bonuses, such as free advertising credits with Google, Facebook and Bing.
- Support - Ideally, a web host should offer 24/7 support by phone, email or live chat.
Installing WordPress From a Web Host
You can install WordPress with any major web hosting company. This is done through a script installer such as Softaculous or Fantastico. Web hosts generally offer several different scripts as a feature that comes with hosting. You usually have to go to your web host's cPanel to find this. Many hosts provide an icon for WordPress; for others you must first click on the name of the script installer and then on WordPress. Some of the most popular web hosts that make it easy to install WordPress include GoDaddy, HostGator, Bluehost, iPage, SiteGround and many others. All of these companies provided straightforward instructions on how to install WordPress.
Specialty WordPress Hosting
The above refers to installing WordPress with a typical shared hosting account. You also have the option of choosing a more advanced and costly type of WordPress hosting. There are several companies that offer managed WordPress hosting, which allows your site to run faster and more efficiently. This type of hosting also provides you with more security and makes it less likely that you'll be hacked. As you might expect, managed WP hosting is more expensive than regular shared hosting. Whether or not this is worth it to you depends on your goals and budget. Some of the leading managed WP hosting companies include WP Engine, Pagely and Pressable.
Managed WP Hosting Now Offered By Leading Web Hosts
Until recently, if you wanted managed WordPress hosting, you had to go to a company that specialized in this service, such as WP Engine. Now, however, several of the larger web hosting companies are also offering managed WordPress hosting, often at a reasonable cost. Some of these hosts include HostGator, SiteGround, Bluehost and GoDaddy. If you are just starting out with a small site, you probably don't need anything more than shared hosting. If, however, you are starting a business site where speed, reliability and security are crucial, you should consider managed WP hosting.
Choosing the Right WordPress Hosting
When considering WordPress hosting, you have to consider many factors: cost, features, support and whether you want regular shared hosting or managed WP hosting. You can do research on various companies and look at reviews and ratings as well. When you start your WordPress site, it's best to choose a host that you'll be able to stay with for many years to come.